The cantarito drink is a very popular and iconic cocktail in Mexico. Refreshing, sweet, citrusy, and smooth; a beverage very similar to the Paloma cocktail with Tequila.
It is common to assume that this Mexican distillate originated in the town of Tequila, Jalisco.
But the true birthplace of Tequila is just over 12 kilometers away in Amatitán, Jalisco, where the oldest remains of a tequila factory have been found.
There are two mandatory stops for those who have been fortunate enough to visit Amatitán.
The first is to see Casa Herradura, tour its imposing hacienda, and learn about the process of making their Tequila, and the second is to enjoy a delicious cantarito drink.
Although the cantaritos are nothing more than clay containers used to store liquids, this is also the name given to the drink prepared in them. Tequila is mixed with orange juice, soda, grapefruit juice, salt, and lemon.
Why is it served in a clay container?
The clay makes the coldness of the drink be preserved for a longer time.
Also, the drink has a large amount of citrus that mixes perfectly with the profile of white Tequila (Tequila Blanco). And the slices included in the cocktail add more power to the flavors.
Because of its freshness and smoothness, it is ideal for hot days and a starter for dinner. Although both genders like it, women prefer this type of cocktail the most due to its smoothness and sweetness.
How strong is the Cantarito drink?
Keep in mind that tequila is a strong spirit. However, the Cantarito cocktail is very smooth and pleasant. Here is why:
- One cantarito holds 8 ounces of liquid, of which only 1 ounce corresponds to the only distillate used: tequila blanco
- The quantity and variety of mixers ensure that the alcohol is diluted enough so that it is not too potent on the palate
- Natural sweet citrus juices are used, as well as grapefruit soda. All that sweetness masks the strong flavor of the tequila
- It is served with plenty of ice, which will eventually melt as I am talking about a drink designed to be sipped slowly, which helps dissolve the alcohol even more
All of this makes the Cantarito drink very refreshing and suits many people’s tastes (including myself).
Cantarito drink recipe
Because this is a smooth and refreshing cocktail, using a good quality blanco or platinum tequila is key to enhancing the flavors and making them even more delicious.
- 1 ounce of premium tequila blanco or silver
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1 lime
- Grapefruit soda (Squirt)
- 1/2 slice of lime
- 1/2 orange slice
- 1/2 grapefruit slice
- Ice cubes
- Garnish: Salt or tajin to frost the rim of the cantarito and 1 slice of lemon
- Salt frost the cantarito by first wetting the rim with a slice of lemon and passing it through a plate containing salt or tajin
- Add ice cubes, a pinch of salt, tequila, orange and grapefruit juices, and citrus half slices
- Stir with a spoon and add the Squirt soda
- Stir again and garnish with the lime wedge
- Whenever you include citrus slices such as orange or grapefruit in a cocktail, remember not to take too long to drink it. After a while, they tend to sour the drink, and its flavor will change significantly
- If you don’t have an earthenware container such as the traditional cantarito, you can prepare your cocktail in a highball glass
- Instead of salt, make a sugar frosting for an extra sweet touch
I hope you enjoyed this article, and don’t forget to share your experiences with cantarito in the comments below. Salud!