The Mayan word Xpu-Ha means “estuary of the two waters” and is a beach located very close to Tulum, where you can practice scuba diving, kayaking, and snorkeling, among other activities.
The transparent and fresh water is perfect for swimming and adventurous diving in the extensive reefs surrounding this destination.
The locals in charge of the area rent the necessary equipment to practice any activity you want.
North of Xpu-Ha beach, you can find a rocky area and a cove where you have the chance to appreciate the large number of fish that live there.
This same cove also connects to the impressive “Cenote Manatí,” one of the most important in the region.
On the shores of the beach, there are hammocks, lounge chairs, umbrellas, and everything you need to relax and enjoy a delicious rest.
You can also taste delicious seafood or various typical dishes of the Yucatan Peninsula in the beachfront restaurants.
How do I get to Xpu-Ha Beach?
Xpu-Ha is located just 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen, at km 265 of Federal Highway No 307, in the Riviera Maya, between Puerto Aventuras and Akumal beach.
There are signs on the road that will take you directly to the destination; remember that it is only one rustic road.
- Open Monday to Sunday from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
- It is not allowed to enter with alcoholic beverages
- If you go on a picnic and intend to be on the beach, bring everything you need to protect yourself from the sun
- Follow all the local safety instructions
- Bring your camera to capture the landscapes of the beach
- Remember to keep the whole place clean and put all your garbage in the designated places
- It is not allowed to bring pets to the area according to the rules of the municipality
5 recommended things to do near Xpu-Ha
- Walk along Playa del Carmen’s Quinta Avenida: If you like the city atmosphere, with shopping, bars, restaurants, and meeting friendly and cheerful people, visiting the Quinta Avenida of Playa del Carmen will give you an experience where you can relax while strolling, shopping for souvenirs and enjoy a few drinks and the rich local gastronomy.
- Have an ice cream in Puerto Aventuras: A paradisiacal beachfront town where you can stroll through its beautiful streets while you enjoy a delicious ice cream, I recommend the Italian Gelatos, they are my favorites.
- Stargazing at Xpu-Ha beach: Crystal clear water, white sand, and starry skies, far away from the city. This can be found at Xpu-Ha beach where you can spend a moment of reflection while enjoying a beautiful and clear sky.
- Visit a Mayan community: If you like the idea of touring a different environment, there is nothing like legendary and ancestral culture, near Xpu-Ha you will be able to visit Mayan communities that preserve intact their traditions and culture, the perfect opportunity to learn about their perspective of life and the world.
- Try a different dish like salpicón de Venado: If tasting local gastronomy is your thing, you can’t miss the chance to try a delicious dish typical of the Peninsula, the salpicón de Venado (deer salpicon) has a combination of flavors and textures that will leave you wanting much more. You can accompany with a typical drink such as henequen liqueur.
I hope you get a chance to visit these beautiful places. It will be worth your while.
Also, keep in mind that most of these beaches, like Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Xpu-Ha, etc., are all very close to each other.
What I like to do when visiting these destinations is to rent a car.
It’s cheaper and a hell of a lot more convenient for me to move around more freely and explore other sites.
Have a safe and pleasant trip, and don’t forget to share with your friends and comment below. Vamonos!